Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reading is fun.

There is a copy of Rob Ray's book on the coffee table at my father's house that I ocasinally will pick up and read from (he got it signed as a Christmas gift from my fiancé Anthony when Rob Ray was at Buff State when Anthony was in school there. To Bob, from Rob...lol) and it's pretty interesting. Now, the times he is talking about I really have little to no recollection of, seeing as he started in the 80's, but I can remember some and a lot from what my father has told me also. He also talks about Matthew Barnaby a lot, as they are close friends from what I've read. It's funny because I see Barnaby a lot at my work and places near my work also. I haven't finished the book yet, I'm only up to the chapter when Lindy Ruff first came to be the coach for the Sabres, but what I have read so far is eye opening as to what goes on between coaches, players, GM's, etc., even what happens inside the locker room. It seems like it might not be the same for the line of guys that are playing right now, but I guess it could be.

In reading these things, it brought me back to when the Sabres were in the playoffs in 1999. The whole "no goal" thing is still kind of blurry in my mind, but dear God if you lived in Buffalo at the time you knew what it was all about. The thing is that my dad was there. I remember watching parts on tv, but at the time I wasn't into it as much as I could have been or like I am now. My dad was at the game with a friend and I remember feeling really bad when it was all over, especially for him and how he has loved this team forever and they were sooo very close. He has told me the story many times of how he and his friend sat on the curb outside the arena and cried. Geez, how brutal. He was also at the last game played at the Memorial Auditorium, and he had the big ticket stub in a frame for as long as I can remember. A lot of fans have a lot of history and stories that go along with that building. I was in it a couple times, but again, I was so young, it's hard to remember a lot of it.

I really hope as time goes on that there are more moments for this team, more awesome moments where everyone remembers where they were when it happened, or how they heard about it, or how it was in all the newspapers and on tv. It's just all a matter of time I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment