Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sabres vs. Tampa Bay Lightning--1/6/10



Ok, so last night had a lot of "whoa!" moments (especially for me) and I might be long winded on this one. Don't say I didn't warn you...

This was the first game I have been to since 2002. Granted, I watch them all on tv, but nothing really gets you ready for it live, especially after not seeing any live hockey for all those years. I was in sect. 106, row 6, and these were seats I purchased back in Sept. for my dad as his b-day gift. I was all crazy getting ready to go downtown from work, making sure we were going to be on time, traffic wouldn't be too heavy, wanting to go to the sabres store first, etc. We got there with plenty of time and headed to the store and then to the nachos (ha) and then to our seats to see all the guys come out to practice.

Now I don't know the arena like the back of my hand, especially when it comes to the seating. I thought my dad would, seeing as he had season tickets many times and all that. Well, it was not mentioned to me that I had purchased tickets right next to the visitor's tunnel for them to come out onto the ice. Bummer. I would like tickets next to our tunnel, but, it is what it is.

Then I take some time to look around. My gosh, the ice looked not as big, in fact the whole area looked super small to me. Also, my gosh the players looked big on said small looking ice surface. Tampa was practicing on our side and I was just sitting there all wide eyed (and probably with my mouth hanging open or something equally embarassing) just watching. I need more of these games in my life, more not on tv type games. It made me want to run down to the ticket office and give them a kidney just to have season tickets.

After the game started, I didn't even have my bearings before the 1st, and 2nd and 3rd goals were scored by Buffalo. Now I am just trying my hardest to keep up because it's been too long and my head felt crazy and I was just taking it all in and didn't even realize at first goals were scored until the place went nutty. I usually have Rick Jeanneret at home helping me out...ha. That is also a factor, not having any announcer/commentary to help in the backround, so I had to concentrate. As the game went on though, I got more into the groove of it all, and started to relax and felt like I knew what was going on for once. I missed a scrap between Gaustad and someone down the line because it was all the way over on the other side of the ice, but all in all, the seats were great and had a great view of everything going on. Here's some pictures I took:
















During the 2nd intermission, me and my dad went to get sabretooth paws (haha they are so cool) and he also got the Buffalo boys t-shirt with Patrick Kaleta and Tim Kennedy on it. I saw it and told him about cause I knew he would love it.

So all in all, a pretty great game to go to. I know a lot of people were saying the playing was sloppy and the goals weren't really clean or anything, but they went in, and that's that. I know, I know, technique and all that matters, but it was a good game for fans as a lot of people were saying, maybe not so much for coaches, but the sold out house loved every minute. We stayed until the very last minute, and getting out of the lot was a nightmare, but it was all well worth it. Now if only Patrick Kaleta would have been playing and took some Tampa players into the boards right at the end I was at, it could have been perfect...haha. I am just hoping he will be playing when I go to the game against NJ on the 27th, cause I really want to see him in action on home ice.

Random notes:

1.) Paul Gaustad is so much taller than Derek Roy, it makes me laugh.
2.) Everyone is taller than Martin St. Louis, except for maybe Derek Roy.
3.) I still had to listen to that dreaded HSBC bank commercial, even while at a live game. How come I can not escape it???!
4.) The people sitting around us were all really nice and it made the game even better.
5.) I wanted to run down to the glass and pound on it for no reason. I just felt the need. But I didn't. :(
6.) Sabretooth is kickass, even though he didn't come to our section.
7.) The "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 we want 6!" chant was pretty fun
8.) The guy behind us said "these guys couldn't score an empty net if you paid them" and me and my dad both laughed because it's true.

Two more points in the right direction, at a steady pace. Hope we can keep this up Buffalo, game on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment